Community Health Services of Union County, Inc.
Call Us: 704-296-0909
1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
Extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
2 garlic cloves, smashed
Lemon wedges, for serving
1 c. grated Parmesan
Crushed red pepper, for serving
Flaky sea salt, for serving
1. Prepare a large ice bath. In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch broccoli until bright green and just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain broccoli then immediately transfer to ice bath. Drain broccoli again and pat dry with paper towels.
2. On a large cutting board or clean working surface, use the back of a mason jar (or small glass), to smash broccoli. (Don’t press down so hard that the florets completely fall apart.)
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, pour in just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the skillet and heat until olive oil is shimmering. Add broccoli and garlic in an even layer and cook, without moving, until the bottom of the broccoli is crispy and golden, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until crispy on other side, another 2 minutes.
4. Remove broccoli and garlic from skillet and transfer broccoli to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. (Discard garlic — it’s already done its job flavoring the olive oil!) Work in batches to cook remaining broccoli.
5. Immediately squeeze lemon juice over broccoli and sprinkle with Parmesan, flaky sea salt, and red pepper flakes.
Perfect Baked Chicken Breast
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs.)
1 lemon, cut into thin slices
Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
1.Preheat oven to 375º. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Drizzle oil all over chicken and generously coat with seasoning mixture, shaking off excess. Scatter lemon slices in baking dish then place chicken on top.
2. Bake until chicken is cooked through, or reads an internal temperature of 165º, about 25 minutes.
3. Cover chicken loosely with foil and let rest for at least 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if using.
Chicken & Spanish Cauliflower “Rice”
·1 large head cauliflower
·1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
·1/2 teaspoon salt
·1/2 teaspoon pepper
·1 tablespoon canola oil
·1 medium green pepper, chopped
·1 small onion, chopped
·1 garlic clove, minced
·1/2 cup tomato juice
·1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
·1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
·1 tablespoon lime juice
·Core and cut cauliflower into 1-in. pieces. In batches, pulse cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles rice (do not overprocess).
·Toss chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add green pepper, onion and garlic; cook and stir 3 minutes.
·Stir in tomato juice and cumin; bring to a boil. Add cauliflower; cook, covered, over medium heat until cauliflower is tender, 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.